Saturday 2 March 2013

52 Books - Week 9

This week a lovely reader contacted me on Ravelry to tell me she'd been reading my blog, which was lovely. By a strange coincidence we'd both been reading the same book The Help by Kathryn Stockett.

I loved this book, it was well written, balanced and very engaging. What scares me about the book is that it is 1962. Not 1862, but 1962. I was born in the 80's and so 1962 doesn't feel that far away to me. Yet at that time black women were still bring up white women's babies but had to use their won toilet in case they had "diseases". The social divide was enormous. There were black women who had been to college being treated like dirt by white women who's only accomplishment had been to marry the right man.

Its a fantastic book, it makes you think and it made me get all worked up. I like a book that can bring out emotions and make a time and a place feel real.

Book Title: The Help

Author: Kathryn Stockett

Enjoyment: 10/10

Would read again: 10/10


Comments: This is worth reading over and over again. Its passionate, fluent and moving. Its been promoted to being the other side of Gone with the Wind, but its more than that because its a story of white people of the time as well as black. Its more Upstairs Downstairs but in a more serious way.


Kathryn Stockett Website

No comments:

Post a Comment