Tuesday 1 January 2013

Homemade - deodorant


Today I made some deodorant. I don't like the idea of some of the chemicals in shop bought deodorants, but I haven't found any alternatives that work so far.

I've been reading a bit about coconut oil and baking powder as an alternative and decided to try this combination:

6 teaspoons of coconut oil
4 teaspoons of baking powder
4 teaspoons of cornstarch
10 drops of lime essential oil

The coconut oil was quite hard to get out of the jar as my kitchen is a little cold. I had to keep scraping it out and packing it into my teaspoon measure until I had enough.

I then mashed the mixture together. Everything I had read said to use a fork, this didn't really work for me. Instead I got my fingers in and squashed it all together until it formed a paste.

Coconut oil melts at body temperature which meant I did end up with some on my fingers so I just rubbed that into my hands as a hand cream, which it isn't too different too. I found the mixture didn't sink in as quickly as some hand creams, but it wasn't too heavy and oily which was a good start as I am concerned about marks on my clothes when using this.

I had an old black plastic cosmetics tub which I filled with the mixture and I rubbed a little under my arms. I haven't exactly had an energetic day today. I've spent most of it in front of the computer or knitting, with a little side trip to B and Q for some plaster board, drainpipes and lino floor tiles (yes this is how I take advantage of the January sales!).

So far I can tell I've used something, I certainly don't feel sticky like I would if I hadn't used anything. I will have to see how it holds up to my regular daily activities. Even if I can only use it on relatively inactive days, as someone with ME/CFS I shouldn't have too much of a problem using it up.

If you liked reading my post please subscribe to it using the drop down menu at the top right, or leave me a comment

No comments:

Post a Comment